at the breakfast table.

Our mornings usually have a slow start. I'm not much of a morning person, compounded by the fact that the one-year-old still sleeps in our bed. I wake up around 7:30 or whenever Jake comes into our room. TJ is usually getting ready for work, and I try not to be grouchy as I shake off sleep. I get up and make TJ breakfast and send him off to work, then make breakfast for the rest of us. It's usually an Egg in a Basket for Jake and fried eggs of some sort for me, oatmeal for all, or toast. This particular morning was oatmeal.

Growing up, I hated oatmeal...or maybe I just didn't give it a chance. When I started working in the Student Union at NAU, my boss would sometimes treat to Starbucks. Once I had their "Perfect Oatmeal," I was hooked. At home, I make it with a drizzle of pure maple syrup, a spoonful of peanut butter, banana slices, and a handful of almonds. I'm a creature of habit, and I don't mind eating the same few things every week. 

Anyway, this particular morning I decided I might like to do a "day in the life" project, but it only lasted until lunch time. Another day, though! Jake always says he will eat his oatmeal, but he rarely finishes the whole bowl at breakfast. I try to remember to put it away for the next time he cries hunger, but it doesn't always happen. We ate out of soup bowls because every. single. bowl. was dirty. Jake is such an expressive child.

I've tried giving Maj oatmeal before, but he usually spits it out. He was loving it this particular morning, however.




Please tell me I'm not the only one whose floor is atrocious under the high chair. (Insert "see no evil" monkey emoticon.)



For now, I love our slow-paced mornings where we can take our time eating and waking up. 

1 comment :

  1. I LOVE his facial expressions (and ALL of you!)! Jake will learn to love oatmeal some day...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I love reading your thoughts, too :)