A Rainy Day at Grandma's.

The other day I took a few videos of Jake playing outside on the nicest day so far this "Fall." It rained on and off, just enough to cool things off and make for a very pleasant day. I thought I'd try my hand at video editing and put together a little film.

Rainy Day at Grandma's from Kylie Pond on Vimeo.

I don't do this very often because all of the videos I take are on my phone, which isn't the greatest quality ever. I wish my "fancy" camera were fancy enough (read: new enough) to take videos, but it's not. I decided to stop making excuses and try to at lease take decent videos and make do with what I have. The result isn't the most beautiful or technical it could be, but it holds sweet memories for us. Plus, Jake watched this like 7 times in a row, and only stopped because we had to go to the store. SO that's a win, right? He loves watching himself, and I love having it a little more polished.

I really want to incorporate video more into our family memory keeping (in a finished way), because it shows a depth that still photos simply can't. It shows interactions, expressions changing and forming, and, of course, helps record those precious giggles and squeals of joy. I think that the same thing applies to filming as it does to picture-making: the best camera is the one you have with you. The nice thing about my phone is that I ALWAYS have it, so it's always available to capture those little moments. With the way technology is advancing, memory-keeping is easier than ever, and makes a fairly decent alternative to the more expensive equipment.

All that being said, I really can hardly wait until I can upgrade my dSLR. I've been so inspired by bloggers like my friend Emma, my sister Kyndra (who did our pregnancy announcement video), Alexa, and Shelby. In the meantime, I'll keep practicing with my iPhone.

3 comments :

  1. Family camera or not (my DSLR is too old for video too!), your video is adorable! I loved how you edited it :). This is something I would like to try my hand at too, but I don't know where to start with video editing programs. Which one did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love him! So happy we live by each other to make these small memories together!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I love reading your thoughts, too :)