one.

Dear Jake,

You're now a whole year old. The last couple of months, I missed on your monthly photos and letters, and I am sorry, but I'm sure you will forgive me. While I was busy with work, I was also busy with you. I'm learning balance in life and I'm trying to learn how to use my time well. This is something I'm not very good at, so you'll have to help me out.

In the last few months, you have learned and grown so much. At about 10 and a half months old, you finally started crawling. I say "finally," because we felt like we'd be waiting forever for you to crawl. Since then, you haven't stopped exploring. You'll crawl to wherever you want, stand up, open, poke around. You love exploring your world and giving your mama mini heart attacks. You learned how to climb stairs at Great Grandma's cabin over the Fourth, and just recently discovered the cement stairs right outside our apartment. Within the last month, you've been practicing standing up, which you can now do without any props. The other day you took your first step without realizing it (daddy had been holding your hands), and on Friday, 8/24, you took a step and a half from where you were standing towards my open arms.

The best part of all of this learning and growing is your personality about it all. You can tell when we are pleased with you, and you get so proud of yourself. Often when you stand, you will clap for yourself. You also get really excited and start bouncing forward on your knees. It's hard to describe, but it's adorable. I'm so in love with your personality. You are so expressive and outgoing, just like your daddy. You love other kids and babies, and love to give them hugs (more hugs are given to our neighbor kids than adults in your family, I'd say). You love watching and laughing at kids on the playground right outside our apartment. You love standing at the living room window, stretching on your tippytoes to look outside. You are usually go-go-go.

Here are some more of your milestones & quirks:

-Understand when we are telling you "no," and usually proceed anyway (ie: turning off/on the Xbox, climbing the stairs, etc.
-Have seven gappy teeth, four top and three bottom
-Say "Mama, Mom, Dada, Da-Dee, ba (ball)"
-Learning how to mimic sounds, like "ee-i-ee-i-oh" from "Old Macdonald"
-Eating more solid foods, and transitioning from breast milk to goat's milk. You'll eat almost anything, and then start throwing food on the floor when you're full. You like: mac and cheese (shells), cheese crisps, sweet potato "fries," black beans, chicken, baked lentil snacks, and more.
-Throw a fit when you don't get your way. Early onset terrible twos, perhaps?
-Something you've done for a while, but I'm not sure if I documented, is that when you drink a bottle, one hand is always playing with your ear or gently pulling your hair.
-Love to wrestle and climb all over us on the floor.
-Very interested in putting things in and taking them out. Your friend Ryan gave you a fish tank toy, that has plastic fish that you put through a slot. Based on the size of the circle on its back, the tank tells you what color the fish is. Because of this, each one must be put in exactly right, and even though it's a toy for older babies, you've pretty much figured it out and it's your favorite toy. Even over the bead coaster that Dad and I gave to you.
-You are so affectionate! You love to give us hugs, and will even put your head on our shoulders when we're holding you. When Daddy is upset with you, you will crawl over to him to give him loves.

As always, there is so much that I'm not thinking of or just simply can't describe. Although parenting you is never easy, you are so much fun at this age and we love your sweet, loving, and energetic personality.

love always,
Mom



And the final comparison collage:

1 comment :

Thanks for reading! I love reading your thoughts, too :)