cheers to the freakin' weekend.

Weekends are my favorite for two reasons: no work and time with my boys. I have been taking out my "real" camera more, but here are some quick snapshots from my cell phone. Some are grainy, some are super unflattering (my bangs really need trimmed), but they're all meaningful to me.

On Friday night, we had a bonfire with TJ's dad and two of his brothers. We roasted pre-cooked brats and ate them on whole-wheat buns with mashed avocado and cooked sweet potatoes in the coals, topped with more avocado and roasted red bell peppers and onions. So tasty. Of course, no bonfire is complete without roasted marshmallows, and I've enjoyed sandwiching them between two Keebler fudge cookies. Jake enjoyed getting thoroughly dirty and trying to get to the fire, then chillaxing on my lap until we left.

On Saturday, we headed out to run a couple of errands. I printed a poster for Jake's party at Staples, and then we got groceries. Sam's Club was out of almond milk (!!??), and we asked ourselves probably 20 times why we waited until Saturday to go grocery shopping. We had pretty much no food, so there wasn't much we could do about it. Also, Jake and I were able to get on WIC, which has been humbling and a blessing. It's nice to know that I won't have to stress about having milk for Jake to drink once I stop pumping (I was able to get vouchers for goat's milk), and I felt so grateful to have healthy groceries for us. I know many people have strong opinions about government assistance, but we feel that ultimately, providing for our family is the number one priority. I'm grateful there are programs that help support healthy habits for families who are working hard to make ends meet. 


After our errand-running, I put Jake down for a late nap. When he woke up, we went to dinner with TJ's parents, and then back to their house to watch Skyfall. Jake had an absolute blast pestering their dogs and throwing his own ball and chasing it around (on all fours-not walking yet). That kid has so much energy and is so full of personality. He brings joy to anyone he meets.

On Sunday, we headed off to church, where I substituted the CTR 6 primary class. I only had some minor problems with one kid, which was a relief since 7 six-year-olds by myself was a bit intimidating after only caring for Jake for so long. TJ even got Jake to nap during church, which I can never seem to do. When we got home, we played and wrestled and snuggled. Jake has been struggling with naps lately, and falls asleep better if I hold him. Part of me cringes to do this, but a bigger part of me loves it. That evening, we had dinner with some friends and the food and conversation was nice. 


And now it's Monday and back to the grind of the work week for me. Only 4 more days until another weekend, this one promising to be pretty busy with Jake's first birthday! 

2 comments :

Thanks for reading! I love reading your thoughts, too :)