tender moments.

It seems that I'm better about documenting the little things, rather than the big moments. I think I'm okay with that.

The other night, I'd had a a long day at work, and I was doing the dishes. Jake was sleeping, and TJ was studying while listening to a piano music station on his laptop. TJ stood and came over to me, asking me to dry my hands. I did, and then he wrapped me in his arms and we started swaying back and forth to the music, dancing there in our kitchen. We smiled and said sweet words, and I thought, This. This is a perfect, beautiful moment.

Last night, after spending a wonderful evening with friends, I came home and woke my baby to feed him. I fed him snuggled up in our bed instead of on the couch as usual. Then, since he'd been sleeping for a few hours, we had about fifteen minutes of awake and happy time. I changed his diaper (his favorite) and tickled him, and kissed him all over. I put him in his pajamas, and then sat on the floor to swaddle him. All the while we were grinning at each other like fools. Once he was wrapped, with pacifier in mouth, I cradled him in my arms, sitting cross legged in my over-sized t-shirt and yoga pants, my hair slipping out of its ponytail. And then I sang to him, like I do every night. I sang to him, and I sang for his daddy who I knew was listening from the living room. And as I sang, I thought, This. This is a perfect, beautiful moment.

I cling to these tender moments. They get me through the long, boring days at a job that I take pride in, but don't love. They get me through them with the promise that someday, not as far off as I think, I will be able to have those beautiful moments all day long, and not just when I put my baby to sleep at night.


5 comments :

  1. Beautifully written. Life is all about those perfect, beautiful and little moments. I've said it so many times before but almost no one else makes me as baby hungry as you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So perfectly written - and such a great reminder that it IS those little moments that life is really all about.

    Props for staying positive. Your my hero.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, I love this. Aren't these the moments that life is about? Life would be nothing without moments like those.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love reading your blog because it makes me excited to become a mom. Even about the hard time you write it in a way that seems do-able instead of frightening. We love reading these tender moments. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful words, from a beautiful lady:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I love reading your thoughts, too :)