learning.

[My first image post-processed using CS5: the infamous acai bowl, at our very favorite Swami's Cafe in Encinitas, CA. Sorry again, Jacy! Please note: I highly recommend this, but not if you're allergic to bee pollen....]

A couple months ago....gosh I think it was in March....I had the opportunity to purchase an education edition of Adobe Photoshop CS5 for an amazing price (it was less than $200!). I had been looking to upgrade my photo editing software (read: Picnik was closing) and so I talked to my photographer friend and he convinced me to take the leap to CS5, especially since it was such a good deal. TJ fully supported me in this, since I'd been talking about it for a while and he really encourages me to develop my talents.

Well, I got the package in the mail and I was so excited! But I had one problem....I was still running a OS X Leopard on my little MacBook....the same operating system I'd had since I got it nearly 4 years ago. It was really time for an upgrade, and since my system was already running slow, I didn't want to further bog it down with a newer program. So I put it off. 

Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago: I was finally able to update my OS and finally installed PS CS5.  I opened up the program, all ready to learn....and I panicked. It looked so different from anything I was used to! I couldn't figure out how to do one single thing....not even as simple as sharpening an image, or changing the brightness.

Thankfully, we have this blessed thing called the internet. I found a tutorial, which I not only applied to the above image, but helped me work my way around photoshop and learn a thing or two here and there. And so, ladies and husband (because he's the only gentleman that reads this, I think), I am on my way to learning something new! It might take a lot of baby steps, and I know it's going to take work, but I'm excited to learn.

If you have found any great tutorials online, please share! Any tips would be wonderful as well. I'm saving the ones I find on my "Picture this." pinboard, as well as inspiring images and other tips. This is truly something I love, and I'm eager to learn more and improve myself.

4 comments :

  1. Good luck! I can't wait to see all the amazing things you do with your photography as you develop this new skill! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to buy and start using photoshop, but it is so intimidating for me. My mom is a photographer and uses PS so I've tried to play around with it but it is just so confusing. Maybe one day when I have a nice camera I'll buy it and figure it out! Can't wait to see what you do with it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Try Lynda.com. there is a fee to join but that's how I learned everything...it is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know there was a Swami's up there. We go to the one in La Mesa occasionally.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I love reading your thoughts, too :)