Dear Husband,


I realize that I've been writing little letters to our son for a while now. And today it struck me that I should write one to you. Even though we talk in person, by phone, by email, and by sweet handwritten notes, I wanted to write to you in this way as well.

We've been on quite the adventure so far, haven't we? Our story began exactly 2 years and 9 months ago. But really, I suppose our story began long before that. It began as we each grew up, experiencing different things that would lead to our eventual meeting. Our lives often intertwined, though we never actually crossed paths. The irony of the mutual friends we share, the neighborhoods we grew up in, and in contrast the vastly different experiences we've had only solidifies that it was not mere coincidence that we were brought together. I don't believe in happenstance.

From the first time I met you, I fell for you, hard and fast. I was strong, I was independent, and I had just decided that I didn't need or want a boyfriend in my life. I was going to have fun being single, go on lots of dates, focus on my education, and then probably go on a mission for our church. That was my plan. It was a good plan, and I'm sure it would have been full of good experiences, but I'm grateful that God knows my heart better than I do. The truth is, once I met you, I needed you. And I've needed you every day since.

Sweetheart, nobody has ever held my heart so captive from the very start. No other boy I'd liked made me feel so safe, so incredible, as did you. From the beginning, I was myself and it wasn't awkward. It's strange to think back to that girl I was when we first started dating. Now, after 2 years of marriage, it's strange to think of who I was on our wedding day. It's interesting to see how I've grown as a person, and the leading role you've played in that.

I loved you, I think, from early on. And now that love has blossomed into something greater than I could ever have imagined. You are no longer just part of my life...you are my life.  I'm so blessed to have a good man, one who treats me right, and treasures me above all else; one who is strong and has a heart of pure gold. I'm so blessed to have a man like you. Happy 24th birthday sweetheart. I hope that you enjoy this birthday with me, and many more to come.

love always,
Kylie

6 comments :

  1. Awww, this is so sweet! Happy Birthday to your hubby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love this. have you ever heard the song "i though i loved you then" the idea of looking back and remembering reminds me of the lyrics - listen to it :)
    and enjoy the celebrations!
    -elisabeth

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sweet!! Happy Birthday to your love ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ahh what a sweet sweet post to your husband!! feeling a lot of love between the two of you

    ReplyDelete
  5. I knew it was right for me because Devin was the only boy I ever needed too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love this: I'm grateful that God knows my heart better than I do.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I love reading your thoughts, too :)