from pinned to done | episode 2

This pin took an interesting journey. Let me just say up front that it annoys me when people don't pin to the original source, but rather some random site or to just a picture. This pin turned out to be a similar case. If it weren't for Emma's help, I probably wouldn't have figured out the modifications to turn this dress from Elle Apparel into a maternity dress. Together, we were able to figure it out, although there were still a few things that confused us. We followed this tutorial from Do It Yourself Divas to create what they call "The Perfect Maternity Dress."
[PS. 21 weeks, 1 day | April 8, 2012]

While it was somewhat confusing, and I ended up doing some modifications, the dress turned out alright. For being an amateur seamstress, I don't think I did too badly. The only thing I don't really like is that it feels sort of tent-like, which could be due to my fabric choice, and perhaps the length and hem width. I think if I had used a stretchier fabric (like a knit as they suggest), it would hang differently and not feel quite so large. I wanted it to hit below the knee, especially since I'll still be growing in the belly area. 

Instead of adding the band in between the skirt part and the t-shirt, I attached the skirt directly to the shirt. Then, I made a band and ties and attached them only to the shirt part. This way, the skirt still has room to expand with my stomach, and I still have a way to draw in the waist and make it a little more interesting. In these pictures, I crossed the ties in the back, and wrapped them around to the front to tie them.

I liked having a new dress to wear for Easter Sunday. I also made the statement necklace and hairpiece to match, using this tutorial for the white flower. (Ironically I had exactly the same lacy fabric as Kate did. I bought a bolt of it for $5 at WalMart, and it has probably 5 yards. This is the first project I found good use for it.) I didn't even find the tutorial on Pinterest! I found a link to it on a favorite refashioning/sewing blog, and now I have another favorite sewing blog.

I was really nervous to wear it to church, because it did feel sort of big, but I got a few glowing compliments that really made me feel better about my skills. The ladies who noticed were so surprised when I told them I'd made it. I won't lie, I'm someone who likes to hear it when I do something well because I constantly second-guess myself. (But really, who doesn't?) I've decided I love making dresses and skirts because I'm in control of the length, fit, style, and cost (I think the dress itself cost me less than $15 total--pretty cheap as far as dresses go!).

The verdict: good beginner sewing project, helped me to get to know my sewing machine a little better, and gave me a simple spring dress that I can only look to improve on the next time around.

What do you think? Cute or not so cute? Pin win or fail?

PS. Don't forget to enter the giveaway on Christi's blog! You could win cute bows made by yours truly.... :)

16 comments :

  1. Definitely cute! I love the coloring and your statement necklace and hairpiece are perfect Kylie! :] Eep! I think it turned out wonderful! And I LOVE your bump!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definite win!!! Now if you could make me one I'd appreciate it, although my bump is only SLIGHTLY bigger than yours ;) Ok maybe it's HUGE hahahaha but I'm so impressed and jealous of your sewing abilities! SOO cute!

    Now you make me wish I had a sewing machine ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You made that?!! It looks gorgeous! Definitely fits you like a glove. Don't second guess your mad skills :P

    I got a sewing machine for Christmas last year and still yet to use it. I guess I'm a little intimidated by it. I have two patterns and some fabric for my first project, but I'm so afraid I'm gonna mess something up.

    I'm definitely gonna check out those tutorials on the dress you made!

    xo
    Alisha

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute!

    1) The color is great.
    2) The dress does not look tent-like. You are so petite that it looks more "cute" than bulky.
    3) I love the bow :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE it!!! Five stars! Xoxoxo
    MOM

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it's a total win! You look so stinkin cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dude, I clicked on your post because the picture was so flippin cute, and I was going to tell you how much I loved that dress! I can't believe you MADE it! Seriously, that looks AMAZING. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just found you! How adorable are you and how much do I love that SKIRT? WOW!

    Eager to read more about you! I'm following! Now down to read about the self-esteem... I've posted about this on my blog too... funny how we're all on our own journey's!

    XO

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh! SO cute! Well done :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are ADORBS. And you made that?! So impressed.

    Your newest fan and follower :)

    SoUtHeRnPiNkY.bLoGsPoT.cOm

    ReplyDelete
  11. very cute! great job. wish I could sew!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so jealous that you made that. It looks so cute and great and also seems pretty comfy too which is just what you want. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Win! That is so cute, Kylie. Your sewing skills far surpass mine--whenever I sew I can feel my face and neck get hot with frustration and I know I have to stop.
    Also, I totally second-guess myself too. I was just doing that today, but it really is great to have that affirmation from others when you do a good job.

    ReplyDelete
  14. GREAT photos, girl! I'm new here and I LOVE the look and feel of your site so far! Off to check out some more posts. Have a wonderful week! xo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I love reading your thoughts, too :)