from pinned to done | episode 1


Last week, I made this recipe from Budget Bytes for "Hearty Black Bean Quesadillas."
I followed the recipe, except I didn't have any red onion so I just left it out (if I did have some, I would've sauteed it first to get rid of some of the raw flavor, and I wouldn't have used as much as is called for). I also didn't add the cornstarch. I used white tortillas (I'm picky about tortillas) and mozzarella cheese (the only kind I buy).

I did add some sauteed red bell pepper (I sauteed the garlic with this) and about half of a small can of green chiles. Be sure to leave some of the bean "paste" as the recipe suggests. My mom made it with rinsed beans, and she said her quesadillas turned out a little dry. I think sauteeing the veggies would bring some moisture as well. Next time, I might double the recipe and freeze them as the recipe suggests.
These were a really tasty, and filling meal. Plus, they were vegetarian, which is something I've been trying to incorporate more of in our dinners. I think it would also be good with some sort of avocado dipping sauce (avocado + sour cream + seasonings).

We had some filling left over, so the next night made a really quick meal: I just cooked up a chicken breast, and rolled it up with some of the filling in a burrito. Both options were equally delicious, although I think TJ appreciated the meat. 

The verdict? I'm glad I re-pinned this recipe! Thanks to the original creator as well (gotta give credit where it's due). I worked on another project this weekend, and will finish up the rest of my selected pins this week. 

4 comments :

  1. YUM this sounds so good! Thanks Kylie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, these sound sooo good! I think I need to try this recipe, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds delicious! And I always love when someone else tries a recipe first so I can see all the things they change. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love budget bytes. I like the meals that they have all planned for you. We ate one the other night. The Tuscan Pasta one. It was good. Not the beans, though. Do not try those beans.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I love reading your thoughts, too :)