the beat.

I've been wanting to do an update on my pregnancy for a while. I've had a draft saved, just waiting to be filled with fun facts for a few weeks. But for some reason (be it laziness or lack of inspiration, I'm not sure), I just haven't done it yet. Then I went to the doctor yesterday, and now I don't want to write just the facts and the symptoms. I want to write about our baby.

It's been difficult for me to grasp the concept that there is a being growing inside of me. I mean, I know I'm pregnant, but it is harder to realize that there's a baby in there. Even in that first ultrasound, all I could see was a little bean with a head and a blinking dot, it didn't truly hit me.

Then, yesterday, the doctor felt my belly with her cold hands, squirted on some cold goo, and took out what looked like a child's tape recorder with a microphone, just not as colorful (you know, the ones you played books-on-tape on? and made squeal with static when you put the microphone to the speaker?). She then proceeded to roll the "microphone" around until she picked up the squishy-sounding heartbeat (it's hard to describe the sound of a heart beating through lots of tissue and liquid). I looked up at TJ, who was standing nearby to see his face. Apparently mine lit up, and his did the same. We heard the first sound our baby would ever make.

"Is that the heartbeat?" I asked.
"Yep," the doctor replied, "and it sounds great."

Hearing that little beating heart gave me an indescribable feeling. It trumped the anxiety and worry of a first pregnancy. It made me so happy.

Guess what? There really is a baby in there.

[First bump picture: 13 weeks, 5 days. Mostly, I just look bloated.]

7 comments :

  1. Woo so cute! :D Congratulations again on bub. I can't wait for this one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post makes my heart to happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awe that's so exciting :) I'm sure it's a wonderful feeling hearing your baby's heartbeat for the first time :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your baby bump picture is so cute! And we still haven't heard our baby's heartbeat! I can't wait! I also can't wait for our ultrasound! Do you guys have yours scheduled yet?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. AWHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! This is so sweet!!! congratulations!!!!! I think pregnancy is such a magical gruesome, beautiful, wonderful, horrible, amazing, miracle of a thing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I love reading your thoughts, too :)