making this space home.

I've been really slacking in the homemaking department, and my sweet husband has been the one to suffer. He's always been much better about trying to keep our home clean and organized, so it's time for me to step up my game.

I decided to create a series of posts to help keep me motivated. After almost three months into moving to our new place, I still don't have it fully decorated or organized. So, I'm going to be posting about projects and maybe some cleaning/organizing tips I learn along the way.

For starters, here some simple ways to maximize closet and drawers space.

"Huggable" or velvet hangers. These are super skinny, so they take up less closet space, but are more durable and attractive than wire hangers. I like how uniform and cohesive it makes our closet look. I bought a pack of 50 for $30 on Amazon, but I think I found them a little bit cheaper at Ross.


This is a free little organizing trick. Fold shirts to the depth of your drawer, and store them vertically. Not only does this take up less space, it allows me to see exactly what I have in my drawer....which is mostly t-shirts....which are mostly from high school.

I bought two of these shoe racks (one for each of us). I think they were about $3 each at Target. They're pretty cheap and not super sturdy. I've been pretty good about keeping my shoes on them, but they don't work as well for TJ's shoes, because his are bigger and bulkier. I may be in the market for a new style soon, but it works for now. In the right corner of this photo, you can see where we store socks and other miscellaneous items, because our dresser space is pretty limited. It's just a three-drawer plastic set that I got for about $15 at Target. 

Those are just some tips I picked up from various blogs, or came up with on my own. I've found I've had to get pretty creative with organization and decorating when living in apartments. Anybody else have some tips and trick out there?

8 comments :

  1. At walmart they have a shoe organizer that has three circular rows...it is vertical so it doesn't take up as much floor space. And you can adjust the rows upwards if you need too, since TJ's feet are bigger they'll need more room lengthwise. It's a little on the expensive side but maybe you can find something else similar. I like that it only takes up about 2sqft of floor space. Here's a link so you know what i'm talking about. Happy Organizing! http://www.walmart.com/ip/Household-Essentials-Storage-and-Organization-Three-Tier-Revolving-Shoe-Tree-in-Antique-Bronze/15387156

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those hangers, too! I actually made hubby convert to them :) 'Cause when we combined our closet for the first time, all his mis-matched hangers were an eyesore :/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, that hanger tip is good!
    I also bough cheap short bookcases from walmart for our misc. things, and put those little cloth square bins in them. Perfect storage, and only like $30 total. Plus, they fit super well into our closet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use velvet hangers & I love them. They keep my shirts from getting those annoying bumps in the shoulders that other hangers cause. Keep up the good work :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This should help me FINALLY get organized in my apartment...after more than a YEAR! Haha. I think I need to invest in some of those hangers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey lovely!
    great post :)
    would you maybe like to follow each other?
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. So, you definitely introduced me to velvet hangers. I am now a proud owner. You are so good, Kylie!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wooden hangers was one of the first things husband and I bought as a newly married couple. Nice hangers make a closet so much more pleasant!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I love reading your thoughts, too :)