dressing all over please.

TJ and I love salads.
We could probably eat them daily and never get tired of them.
If there's one culinary skill I'm proud of, it's my salad-making abilities.

Well, over the winter, what with cold weather and all, our salad-eating days have been few.
Yesterday though, TJ requested my specialty: Mexican Salad.
(This time, I used only a red bell pepper, and no lime. TJ's mouth has been extra sensitive to citrus lately so I've been extra careful. I also had some leftover iceberg shreds that I threw in there just to add some more lettuce, since I saved half of my romaine for later this week.)

However, instead of the dressing recipe I used to make, I made a delicious vinaigrette. Can I just tell you how hard it is to find a southwest-ish vinaigrette that does not call for lime?? It's hard. Anyway, we love us some Chipotle, and always request their vinaigrette to go with our burrito bowl. So, I googled "Chipotle salad dressing recipe," and lo and behold I found something. I worked with what I had, and based it loosely off of this recipe.

Chipotle's Kylie's Honey Vinaigrette
2 T apple cider vinegar
2 1/2 T honey
1 T chili powder
1/2 t salt
black pepper to taste
1/2 T cilantro
1/2 C olive oil

Put all ingredients in a lidded jar, and shake 'er up!
(Or put it in a blender, as the original recipe suggests. But then you have a dirty blender. Plus, I'm currently missing a blender. Plus, I need to work out, so shaking is good.)

After reading through the original recipe again, it requires 2 tablespoons of salt! Granted, it makes way more than I made, but that is a ton of salt batman! They also said that Chipotle's original recipe has 1,525 mg of sodium per 2 oz. serving....and now I'm questioning my dressing addiction there. Guess I'll just have to make it myself from now on.

PS. I made a fairly large salad for two people. I thought I would have left-overs. I did not. Either we were ravenous, or it was that good. Or both.

3 comments :

  1. Sounds yummy. I could go for a good salad right now. (is that weird? do people crave salads?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds soooo good! Race and I need to eat salads more. And by salads I mean the good ones that Race will actually eat. With yummy dressings. Haha. I will have to try all of your delicious recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish mike liked salad, but he hates it, so I never get to eat it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I love reading your thoughts, too :)