a holiday from the heart.

When TJ and I raise children, I want them to know what Christmas is truly about. I want them to know why we give gifts to one another. I want them to feel the magic of Christmas like I remember it. I want them to be excited about serving each other and those around them, as much as they are excited to find surprises under the tree.

The thing is, I want that feeling back again. I want to feel that now, even before I have little ones to teach.

So here is my mission this Christmas: to make Christmas heartfelt.

Now, I'm not going to be perfect at this. I'm not going to be giving strictly handmade gifts, and some of my decorations are store-bought. But the heart of my "mission" is to make Christmas be as genuine and from-the-heart as I possibly can. I want to truly emulate the Spirit of Christmas, by making my heart like His. I want others to be able to feel of the love of our Savior, and I want to help bring that Light to others.

That's what Christmas is truly about; it's about making Christ the center of my Christmas.

I started writing down my thoughts about this a week ago, and as I look them over, they still resonate with me. I'm not sure how successful my journey will be, but it's all about my mindset, about what I choose to focus on. At the beginning of this season, I had it all listed and jam-packed in my mind. And now....now I just want to take a step back. I want to not worry so much about what needs to be done, and think more about the moments. Of course, this is going to be easier said than done. And there's still the stress of finals to get TJ through, and the stress of finishing putting together our home, and I could list it all again, defeating my own purpose. But I'm taking things one day at time.

And relying on Him, the one for whom we celebrate, to carry me through and change my heart.

2 comments :

  1. Wow, it was so great to read this. I feel like I'm at a really similar place. My husband and I are still newlyweds, trying to make this house a home on what little budget we have. We're both finishing up with school and it's been very stressful. I have to write down to-do lists practically every day to make sure I don't miss something. I've been so worried about Christmas and if we will be able to afford to decorate the house and buying gifts for everyone, etc. Then, lately I was like you know, it's not about the gifts or the decorations although those things are nice. I'm working on making Christ the center of my Christmas, too.

    Thanks for sharing! :) So glad I stumbled across your blog today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with all of this! I love the magic of Christmas and I hate that it's so easy to lose that and to lose the real meaning of Christmas in all the craziness. This is something my parents definitely made a priority of every year and it's something I want my children to know as well!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I love reading your thoughts, too :)