date night in.

As part of an effort to be more frugal (not that we weren't before) TJ and I are trying to eat out less. So, this last Friday, I declared it date night in. TJ had decided to work some overtime (he normally doesn't work on Fridays), so it was perfect for me to be able to get groceries, pick up the apartment, and cook a wonderful meal.

When he got home, I was almost ready. Pretty much all I had to do was set the table, finish the green beans, and....oh yeah....look cute. While the green beans were cooking, I quickly changed my shirt, curled a few pieces of hair, spritzed on some perfume, and tossed on a necklace. It's amazing what a few simple changes can do to boost a girl's confidence.

Then, I gave TJ a huge hug and said, "Hey, you wanna go on a date with me?"
This was his face after saying yes: He's hot.

TJ poured our fancy beverage: ice water. Made more fancy in a cute pitcher.

For our meal, I wanted to do something yummy that seemed sorta fancy. So, I found this recipe on Pinterest, and decided it was perfect. See my version at the end of this post.

Served up with a side of olive-oil-sauteed green beans, and it was delicious!

After finishing our dinner, we snuggled up to some Bluebell: Dessert Trio and popped in Pete's Dragon. Would you believe me if I said it was my first time seeing this movie? It was. Too cute. Especially the fact that it was TJ's favorite as a kid, so he knew all the lines and got so excited over everything.

Sorry my face is so creepy. But not really.


All in all, it was one of my favorite date nights in a while. Don't get me wrong, I always have fun whatever we do, but it was nice to really be ourselves and spend the whole night at home in the mindset of it being "date night." I think date night in will just keep getting better.


Spinach, Chicken, and Pasta Bake (my version)
1 box of whole wheat rotini
1 roma tomato
a few handfuls of fresh baby spinach
1 large-ish chicken breast
1/2 of a small-medium yellow onion
1 Tbsp olive oil
4 oz. neufchatel cheese (like cream cheese with less fat)
about 1 cup shredded mozarella cheese

1. Boil pasta per package instructions (I didn't use quite the whole box, but almost). Cook chicken breast (I do this by browning it in a skillet, then covering the skillet for about 5 minutes to steam and cook through). Also, take neufchatel cheese out of fridge to come to room temp. Oh, and preheat oven to 375*.
2. Sautee onion in olive oil, add spinach and cook down.
3. Dice roma tomato. [I used a fresh tomato because I'm not a fan of tomatoes in general, but even less of a fan of canned tomatoes. I wanted that flavor, and a bit of freshness, so I added it.]
4. Once everything is all cooked, combine everything in a bowl with a bit of s&p and a dash of garlic powder. Be sure to mix well to incorporate neufchatel cheese.
5. Spread into an 8x8 inch glass baking dish. Top with shredded mozarella cheese.
6. Bake covered with tin foil at 375* for about 20 min. Uncover and bake for another 10 min. My cheese never got browned, but the edges were getting crispy.
7. Serve! It's wonderful hot, but I had it cold for lunch the next day and it was equally delicious.

Note: I don't measure a whole lot when I cook, so pardon the approximate measurements.

[PS, the giveaway's right here if you haven't entered yet!]

6 comments :

  1. You two are the best. And that first picture of you is gorgeous Kylie! I have never seen Pete's Dragon either! I must watch it now. :] I do love when Race shows me his childhood movies though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You two are so cute! Annnnd that pasta recipe looks amazing. And easy. Date night's are the best, especially ones spent at home :) love your little blog!
    xo,
    jessie

    http://sweetlilsomethings.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that casserole looks sooo yummy.. I love anything topped with cheese!

    this was a really cute idea for a simple, but fun! date night IN :)

    AND! I love your glasses! (Like, drinking glasses I mean.) They look so bubbly it dresses up even a glass of water :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your pictures are soooooooo cute!! The recipe sounds YUMMY, too!!! I will have to try it! Love you <3
    xoxoxo,
    MOM

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awe that is such a fun little night! I love doing free or cheap date things w/the hubby! I need to do that more often. Recently since we have more free time since we graduated we haven't scheduled any dates because we are not working so hard to fit schedules with going to school. Does that make sense? Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are freaking gorgeous. I hope you know.

    Also. This recipe sounds amazing. I'm definitely going to have to try it out.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I love reading your thoughts, too :)