a classic chick flik.

I love movies. So does TJ. So, I decided that once in a while, when I feel like it, I'll post on some of my all-time favorites. Today's feature is a chick flik. My favorite genre.


You've Got Mail

Why it's a classic: It's just your everyday internet love story, loosely based on Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice, with the perfect balance of wit, heartache, and romance. It tells a timeless tale, has great music, and just has that "classic" feel to it.

Why I first fell in love: 1. Meg Ryan 2. Meg Ryan + Tom Hanks 3. "The Shop Around the Corner" -I always dreamed of owning a bookstore. And I've always loved books.

Favorite Quotes:
"What will NY152 say today, I wonder. I turn on my computer. I wait impatiently as it connects. I go online, and my breath catches in my chest until I hear three little words: You've got mail. I hear nothing. Not even a sound on the streets of New York, just the beating of my own heart. I have mail. From you." -Kathleen Kelly-

"Once I read a story about a butterfly in the subway, and today, I saw one! It got on at 42nd and off at 59th, where, I assume, it was going to Bloomingdales to buy a hat that will turn out to be a mistake, as almost all hats are."
-Kathleen Kelly-


"The odd thing about this form of communication is that you're more likely to talk about nothing than something. But I just want to say that all this nothing has meant more to me than so many somethings." 
-Kathleen Kelly-

[And last, but not least, one that speaks to the teacher in me.]
"Don't you love New York in the fall? It makes me wanna buy school supplies. I would send you a bouquet of newly sharpened pencils if I knew your name and address. On the other hand, this not knowing has its charms." 
-Joe Fox-


*Sigh* While there are some great movies that have come out lately, they just don't make chick fliks like they did in the '90s (or pretty much any decade before 2000). I mean, the characters don't even have sex and still know they're in love! 


What's your favorite?

3 comments :

  1. I can't even decide what my favorite is but Race and I were talking about what makes a good chick flick and Race was saying that Pride and Prejudice and You've Got Mail were really good chick flicks because of the way they are set up and the way the story plays out. I had no idea that You've Got Mail was loosely based off of Pride and Prejudice so this made me laugh. :] I like that you're going to share some of your favorite movies though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaron is a chick-flik lover! But I can only watch 'em maybe 2 or 3 times a month ;) (His fav. is Titanic)

    BUT! what you said was true - GONE are the days when movies were about really loving someone the way the oldies (and goodies!) do :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this movie, one of my all-time favorites 'cause I grew up with it (3 older sisters & my mom always watched Tom Hanks/Meg Ryan movies. Sleepless in Seattle is another good one, and one of the other classic favorites is "While You Were Sleeping" with Sandra Bullock.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I love reading your thoughts, too :)