touched.

I am a firm believer that families are not simply made up of people who share the same DNA. 
Families are beautiful, and sometimes complex.

Take my Dad's family for instance. My dad's biological mother died in a motorcycle accident when he was 4 years old. She left behind 7 children, with no father either (they had a few different fathers).

My dad, and four of his biological siblings were adopted by my grandparents. The oldest two were adopted by my great-grandparents. (So technically, my dad's brother and sister are also his aunt and uncle....but we don't really consider them that.)

My dad's parents also adopted two babies, each from different families. They did this because they were told that my grandma would never bear children. Well, after adopting 7 children, my grandma went on to bear 4 more.

My grandparents are amazing people. And my dad is one of the best men I know. I am so grateful for family, and for adoption. Without it, I don't know that I would be here today, in the same circumstances.

Along these lines, I love this video. It made me cry.



Also, please read this article that Sarah wrote.
It made me cry too. And I was at work.

Basically....family is beautiful. No matter the connections.

5 comments :

  1. Such a great story! My family has been touched by the miracle of adoption more than once. I wouldn't have my brothers without a brave birthmother who decided that she wanted her sons to be raised by a mom and dad that could give them more than she could. I love hearing these kinds of stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you too Mom :) And thanks Lauren! It's such a beautiful part of living, that we can be sealed as families in more ways than one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, gee, this made me cry at work too! Well, tear up but still.

    I like to hear happy adoption stories like that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm adopted and our family looks a little weird sometimes and we all have such different background. I was raised by parents who are the age of a lot of people's grandparents. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I love reading your thoughts, too :)