honey crunch.


I just made this divine-looking mix for our trip. I grew up on this stuff. My Grandma Hassell would make this whenever we visited, or when she visited. It's equally delicious raw or toasted. Here's the recipe in her own words. Currently, my grandparents are serving a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints in Russia, so this reminds me of them and the love they have for their family.



HONEY CRUNCH
5 cups quick oatmeal
1 cup of everything else: 
honeyolive oil (are essential)
sunflower seeds,
 sesame seeds,
mixed nuts, 
or one kind of nuts,
raisins and/or other dried fruit,
cold cereal of wheat flakes,
  sweetened is better.
You can add whatever you want.
Stir all together. If the honey is hard you can warm it in the microwave - honey warms up fast. Kyle Hassell (my dad) likes to eat it raw. Cook it by spreading 1/2" thick on a cookie sheet and putting in 300 degree oven until slightly brown, stirring and turning it now and then. Takes about 20 minutes. 
When I make this I 3x the recipe.
Ask me if you have questions.

I'm just like my dad, in that I like this raw as a snack. I would definitely cook it to use it as cold cereal, though. I did not use sesame seeds, and I used Raisin Bran as my "wheat flakes cereal." I also did about 3/4 of everything since I was making it for two. And yes my grandmother does 3x the recipe. And yes it usually is gone in just a couple of days. I love this recipe, and I especially love making family recipes. It makes me feel like I'm taking part in something bigger than myself. What are your favorite family recipes?

1 comment :

  1. That looks super good, I'll have to try it.
    Growing up I remember having this casserole lot, & my mom's family got the recipe from her cousin. My uncle could never remember the cousin's name but he thought she was boring, so it's called "Boring Cousin Casserole" & it's always been kind of a joke in our family (I hope it doesn't get back to whoever it is someday & hurt her feelings).
    1 lb gr beef, browned; 2 cans tomato soup; 1 can corn; 1 can sliced olives; 1 medium onion, chopped; 1 pkg taco seasoning; 2 c shredded cheese. Mix in 9x13 pan & top with either biscuits (2 cans), or cornbread batter. Bake at 350 for 15-20 mins w/biscuits, 25 mins w/cornbread.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I love reading your thoughts, too :)