hello world.

Today, I'd like to share a story. It's kind of long, just to warn you.
*** * ***
She was running late once again. Snoozed the alarm one too many times. But this morning was different. She really just did not want to go to class. She wanted sleep. She wanted to spend the day without worrying or stressing about what needed to get done. She needed to spend some quality time with her husband. A day to relax, a mental health day—that’s what she needed.
Leaving on her day-old mascara and eyeliner, she threw her hair in a bun, put on a bra and jeans, and rushed out the door in the T-shirt she'd worn to bed, running just a couple of minutes late. She really wouldn’t be too late. It was going to be one of "those" days, she told herself. (Not a very positive outlook, but that's life sometimes.) She quickly kissed her husband and said goodbye. She hopped on her bike and started on her way. The light at the intersection was red, so she stopped and waited. When the signal changed, she entered the intersection, noticing a car that would be turning left in her direction. He paused, so she continued on.
And then the unthinkable happened. And he started to go.
He hadn't seen her.
she yelled,
panicked,
tried to get out of the way,
couldn't react quickly enough,
he seemed to be coming so fast,
she was hit on her left side.

Her bike flew out away from her, and she flew into the air, landed on the car’s windshield, and rolled onto the asphalt as the driver came to a stop.
She sat there, stunned and sobbing. "Oh my gosh! Oh my gosh!" she repeated. Someone rushed over to help her and the driver of the car frantically called 911.
Then, the impossible happened. Shaken, and very upset, she got up and walked away.
She walked shakily to the side of the road. She was coherent. She never lost consciousness. She couldn’t believe what had happened. Neither could anyone else. The routine was followed: ambulance, precautionary neck brace, strapped to a gurney, emergency room, x-rays, all with her husband and in-laws by her side. They joked about how she just wanted to get out of class. About how she was just looking for more attention from her husband. X-rays returned without any issues, and she was released just a couple of hours after the whole incident.
The diagnosis: a bump to the forehead, large bruise to the knee, a few other minor bumps and scratches, and acute cervical strain.
And to think, those who had witnessed it thought she had been killed. Those that saw the state of the car afterward would have thought she was in much worse shape. Of course, she felt like she’d been hit by a car for the next couple of days, but she had walked away. She hadn’tbeen wearing a helmet. Everyone told her she was extremely lucky.
But she knew she had been blessed. Someone was watching over her.

On Thursday, November 4, 2010....I was hit by a car.



You probably guessed that the story was about me. Remember this post? It probably makes more sense now. I had such a wide range of thoughts and emotions that day. I remember laying in the ambulance, unable to move thanks to my restraints,
thinking about the test TJ was missing,
the classes we were both missing,
the money it would cost,
the trip to San Diego we were supposed to take the next day.
Mostly, I was anxious. And a mess.

I don't think I realized how lucky I was.

After we got home from the hospital,
and I'd slept for a couple of hours,
we turned on the TV
to one of the country music channels,
and saw this video:




I'll never forget the look in TJ's eyes
as he turned to look at me.
We embraced, and just held each other.

I was overwhelmed with the love I felt for him.
I remembered the feeling of peace I had when he and his father gave me a blessing.
I knew I was blessed. I knew that there was a reason I had not been more seriously injured.

I know that my Heavenly Father was watching over me that day.
Just as He does every day.
I know that I had my own personal angels protecting me.


I can't say that my life was dramatically changed from that day on.
Or my every day outlook.
I still make tons of mistakes and take too much for granted....
but I'd like to think I look for beauty a little more,
I give my sweetheart a bigger kiss on my way out the door.
I try say I love you a little more.
I try to call my mom more often.
I try to pray more,
to show more gratitude.

This life is truly beautiful and precious. And goodness knows, I'm nowhere near good enough to leave it yet.

4 comments :

  1. Goooood. story. I remember being so worried about you when we heard about it; I'm so glad you were okay. It is such an amazing feeling when you know Heavenly Father is watching out for you in moments like that, and every other moment in life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You captured the story beautifully. We still talk about this at work and how people still make that left turn fast and when they shouldn't.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, so I totally BAWLED as I watched the video. Thank you for such an awesome post! I love you soooo much. Love, MOM xoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautifully told, Kylie! I am so grateful for your strength and testimony. I know that you had angels with you that day and that Heavenly Father is mindful of us all.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I love reading your thoughts, too :)